Thousands of ssh probes

mikel king mikel.king at olivent.com
Fri Mar 5 15:55:26 UTC 2010

On Mar 5, 2010, at 10:44 AM, John wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 05, 2010 at 10:19:09AM -0500, mikel king wrote:
>>
>> On Mar 5, 2010, at 8:26 AM, John wrote:
>>
>> Way back about 10 years ago, I was playing around with IPFW a lot. I
>> wrote a script to update IPFW from changes made to a MySql db. It was
>> a just for fun project, that turned out to be rather useful I have
>> some developers that I managed who like you were road warriors. They
>> logged in to the https web page w/ their username and password which
>> grabbed their IP address and stored it in a table on with their login
>> id.
>>
>> The script called fud (for firewall update daemon) connected to the
>> db
>> and ran a query to check for any rule changes. If there were it would
>> apply them to the rule set and clear the change flag. Using this
>> combination I was able to allow ssh access only to the necessary ip
>> addresses.
>>
>> I kind of scrapped it when VPNs became easier to deploy and I have no
>> idea where this set of scripts are now, but it would be rather
>> trivial
>> to build a new version.
>>
>> If anyone thinks it's worth revisiting hit me off list.
>
> Maybe I'll have to learn how to do a VPN from FreeBSD....
>
> One thought that occurs to me is that pf tables would provide a
> direct API without having to hit a database.
>
> I think I really like this.  I may have to implement it for pf.
> It should be really easy with CGI and calls to pfctl.
> --

There's probably a dozen ways to slice it now. I went with php, mysql
and ipfw, just because that was the theme back then. I also found it
handy to be able to login into the system and manually enter the ip
addressing if necessary. I would definitely add some better logging
than I did back then. Hmmm giving me an idea for another article on
BSDNews.net... ;-)

cheers,
m!