Perl 5.8 -> 5.10 On Current Production System

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Fri Mar 5 15:22:13 UTC 2010

Matthew Seaman <m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk> writes:

> You got bitten by an ill-considered change introduced after the UPDATING
> instructions were written.  To work around it, you need to set
> DISABLE_CONFLICTS when rebuilding the port, eg like this:
>
>    # portupgrade -m DISABLE_CONFLICTS=yes -o lang/perl5.10 -f perl-5.8\.*
>
> Please feel free to complain volubly about this: it's hand-holding for
> newbies which annoys and incoveniences the vastly larger number of
> non-newbies (ie. anyone who has been using the ports for more than a few
> weeks.)

It has occurred to me that teaching portupgrade to handle this would be
a Simple Matter of Programming.  Maybe even a strategy as simple as
adding the variable to the make command lines automatically any time
'-o' is specified.

I wonder whether I could write that change without actually learning ruby...

		http://be-well.ilk.org/~lowell/