RS232 / TCP converter and BSD.

Olivier GARNIER oli.garnier at free.fr
Thu Mar 4 11:07:36 UTC 2010

Hi,

I have a weather station (Lacross WS2350). (can be connect by USB / RS232).
I want to get data from a FreeBSD server 70 meter from the weather
station (with http://www.wviewweather.com/ software).
I already have a RJ45 cable between the two objects.

I wish i could get a RS232 to RJ45 connecter like this one :
http://www.lextronic.fr/P6554-convertisseur-tcpip--rs232-cse-h53.html
And use it to connect the weather station to the RJ45 network, and then
get data from my BSD.

The bad point is that the soft witch are given with the RS232 to RJ45
translater are for windows, and it make a virtual port on windows.
I don't know if it will work on BSD.
If it does not work, i'll be oblige to buy another RJ45 to RS232
translater... and it's not cheap.

Has anybody already done a such network ?

Thanks,

Olivier