/ slice too small

Malcolm Kay malcolm.kay at internode.on.net
Wed Mar 3 14:23:44 UTC 2010

<eliaschr at cha.forthnet.gr>wrote:
> > On Sunday 28 of February 2010 15:26:54 Frank Shute wrote:
> > > I've got a machine here running 7.2 which I want to
> > > upgrade to 8.0 but looking at the root slice it is
> > > woefully small:
> > >
> > > $ df -h
> > > Filesystem    Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> > > /dev/ad4s2    190M    146M     29M    84%    /
> > > devfs         1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /dev
> > > /dev/ad4s4    129G     15G    104G    12%    /usr
> > > devfs         1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%
> > > /var/named/dev
> > >
> > > I've got a CD/DVD writer on that machine along with a
> > > 100MB ethernet connection to my desktop.
> > >
> > > How do I go about upgrading it? Dump/restore and change
> > > the partition table?
> > >
> > > Any suggestions gratefully received.
> > >

> > > Regards,
> >
> > Yes. The dump/restore should do the trick as long as you
> > have another medium
> > to store the dumps (such as another hard disk). You will
> > store the images of
> > your slices to the new medium using dump(8). You can then
> > use FixIt console to
> > re-partition and re-slice your hard disk and then restore(8)
> > your images in the newly sliced hard disk. Actually, if you
> > have another hard disk device, you can use piped
> > dump/restore to copy the whole system from one disk to the
> > other and make the second one your bootable disk. Of course
> > you must have sliced the second device first.
> > I've done this many times. The first was to remove an
> > openSUSE partition I had,
> > living in the same hard disk as my FreeBSD. The second time
> > was to move my FreeBSD to another hard disk (physical
> > device). The new disk became my boot disk.
> > The third time was to move my system to another bigger hard
> > disk device and at
> > the same time be formated as ZFS.
> > Now my system boots from this third hard disk device, having
> > ZFS and the operating system is the same as that I first
> > installed (of cource updated...)
> >
> > Elias
>
> You might well find it easier to use rsync rather than dump.
> Just make sure you use the following flags
>
> rsync -aHP --numeric-ids

This is a bit questionable for copying live fs. Probably OK if
you use snapshots. Leaves you in very similar situation as doing
backups with tar. These schemes also alter the access times on
files (which I guess doesn't usually matter too much).

But dump/restore is no more complex to use than rsync and manages
snapshots for you, so why mess about with questionable schemes.

Malcolm Kay