Lost audio after new Video card installation

Carmel carmel_ny at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 2 10:51:04 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 09:05:03 +0100
Andreas Rudisch <"cyb."@gmx.net> articulated:

> On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 19:42:19 -0500
> Carmel <carmel_ny at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I installed a nVidia GeForce GT 220 card.
> > Now, the video is fine; however, there is no audio.
>
> > hdac0: <NVidia (Unknown) High Definition Audio Controller> mem
> > 0xfcffc000-0xfcffffff irq 16 at device 0.1 on pci3
>
> I ran into the same problem after installing a GT 240. The video cards
> support audio via HDMI. During boot the audio chip of the video card
> is found first (also snd_hda) and used as primary audio device.
>
> After kldunload / kldload snd_hda everything would work properly.
>
> As a workaround I do not load the snd_hda kernel module at boot, but
> with a cronjob @reboot. This way the normal sound card is found first.

OK, now I am confused. This is the output of kldstat:

/boot $ sudo kldstat
Id Refs Address    Size     Name
 1   17 0xc0400000 a5eb64   kernel
 2    1 0xc0e5f000 2f08     speaker.ko
 3    1 0xc0e62000 a0d6f8   nvidia.ko
 4    3 0xc1870000 29b98    linux.ko
 5    1 0xc189a000 53cc     sem.ko
 6    1 0xc18a0000 6a4f8    acpi.ko
 7    1 0xc773f000 7000     linprocfs.ko

This is my 'loader.conf'

/boot $ cat loader.conf
speaker_load="YES"	# AT speaker module
nvidia_load="YES"	# Load nvidia driver
sem_load="YES"		# Load the sem module for firefox-35

# Superpages
vm.pmap.pg_ps_enabled=1.

I have sound compiled into my kernel:

# Sound
device		sound
device		snd_hda		# nVidia MCP51 sound support

When I attempt to unload the driver, I receive this message:

kldunload snd_hda
kldunload: can't find file snd_hda

Therefore, are you implying that I have to recompile my kernel without
the sound device and then load it manually when I boot up? That seems
like a bug in FreeBSD.

--
Carmel
carmel_ny at hotmail.com

The system will be down for 10 days for preventative maintenance.