Lockups with USB disks on FreeBSD

Aiza aiza21 at comclark.com
Tue Mar 2 02:24:27 UTC 2010

David Jackson wrote:
>>> I am currently using FreeBSD 8.0. I have been, for a long time, been
>>> having problems with lockups of FreeBSD 8.0 when using USB hard
>>> disks. Sometimes certain applications lock up for several minutes,
>>> when they use the disk, file operations are very slow, and sometimes
>>> the entire operating system can lock up for several minutes. This can
>>> be a pretty painful thing and makes the system seem very unstable. I
>>> am using UFS filesystems on the disks. It seems to happen on multiple
>>> disks that i use.
>>>
>>> I was hopeful changes to the FreeBSD USB drivers might have improved
>>> things but they are as bad as ever.
>>>
>>> Help is appreciated.
>>>
>> Are there perhaps diagnostic tools or an error log that can be enabled
>> so I can see if maybe there is some sort of error occuring with the
>> USB transmissions that might be causing this problem, or perhaps what
>> part of the driver code it is getting locked up on?.
>>
>> Has anyone else experienced problems such as this with USB disks? If
>> more information on my hardware is needed i will post dmesg output.
>>
>> Any help is appreciated.
> I have done some more thinking about this issue. Just an app freeze on
> USB access is one thing, however, the fact that the entire OS freezes up
> on access to the USB disk shows there are much more serious design
> problems in the FreeBSD kernel. A USB access should not cause the kernel
> to lock up for minutes. these are very serious flaws in the FreeBSD
> kernel and lead to an instable and unuseable system. With these
> problems, and the fact no one really seems to care that the FreeBSD
> kernel is unstable, freezes up, etc , really is shocking considering
> FreeBSD bills itself as a server OS. Freezes and lockups are not a sign
> of stability or good design, they are evidence of severe design flaws,
> especailly that the entire kernel would freeze. I would be glad to use
> diagnostic tools to help find the problem. Much of the FreeBSD kernel
> however seems to be a black box, I have tried to study it but it seems
> to be badly documented. I have not been able to penetrate it and i do
> not know enough, despite my efforts, about it to understand what is
> causing these problems.

Your description about what is happening is lacking any detail.
Tell us what is on the USB disk, How you are using it, How you created
it  ECT ECT ECT  Booting your system from it is way different than
writing small data files to it or containing a raid file system or some
database. You have to help us help you.