FreeBSD-Compatible Multifunction Device

Tim Gustafson tjg at tgustafson.com
Mon Mar 1 15:41:14 UTC 2010

Hi,

I've Googled this a bit and found lots of noise about different experiences
with devices that -didn't- work or commentary from people about how
multifunction devices are a bad idea, but no actual recommendations.

I was wondering if anyone could make a recommendation for me about which
networked multifunction device is most compatible with FreeBSD?
Specifically, I'd like a printer/scanner/fax/copier that:

- is network-enable out of the box (wired is preferred but wireless is ok)

- has FreeBSD CUPS printer drivers

- can be configured to send scans to FreeBSD somehow
  (either by mounting a samba share, or sending an e-mail, or whatever)

- had a scanner hopper that would let me scan multiple pages at once

- bonus points for a scanner that scans both sides of the page

It would be further awesome if inbound faxes could be routed to e-mail too,
but that's not a requirement.

Has anyone found such a beast?

Tim Gustafson
tjg at tgustafson.com