Recommended supported SATA Cards?

Rob lists at midsummerdream.org
Tue Jun 29 20:58:31 UTC 2010

I've been trying to find a PCI-e SATA II (300MB/s) controller card for a
FreeBSD 8.0 system, but am having problems determining if FreeBSD 8.0
will support them.  Ideally I'd like to find one that is not a HW Raid
controller, as I don't need that functionality since I place to use ZFS
and the HW Raid on the card just gets in the way.  I know that a
HighPoint RocketRAID 23x0 (2310, 2320) will work with the htprr driver,
but those are HW RAID cards.

I've found 'Adaptec 2241000-R 1430SA' and 'Rosewill RC-218' cards, and
those are the ones I'm having a hard time telling if FreeBSD supports.
Searching of the e-mail archives has given me mixed results and nothing
definitive to say that they work.

I'm not sure what chipset the Adaptec 2241000-R 1430SA uses, but the
Rosewill uses the Marvell 88SX7042 chipset.  I'd prefer to use Adaptec
if possible as in the past they produced good SCSI boards and used to be
well supported (in Linux anyway), but I'll use the Rosewill if it's well
supported in FreeBSD.  It's also possible Adaptec has taken a hit in
support/quality since I last used one of their boards. :)

Does anyone know if the above boards are supported in FreeBSD?  Anyone
have any recommendations for PCI-e 4x SATA controllers with a minimum of
4 internal connectors?

Rob