sendmail: My unqualified host name

Michael mlmichael70 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 22:12:47 UTC 2010

On 28/06/2010 22:43, Polytropon wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 21:51:46 +0100, Michael<mlmichael70 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>> My console is being flooded with this kind of messages:
>>
>> Jun 28 15:49:02 prime sendmail[57268]: My unqualified host name
>> (localhost) unknown; sleeping for retry
>> Jun 28 15:49:06 prime sendmail[21451]: unable to qualify my own domain
>> name (localhost) -- using short name
>
> It seems that it's your *sendmail* that is complaining. Check your
> settings regarding hostname (hostname= in /etc/rc.conf, corresponding
> entry in /etc/hosts), also check sendmail configuration in /etc/mail.

Yes but I don't quite understand why. It's my laptop system and I don't
really need or want sendmail there. I guess it must be some script
trying to send email instead of logging to a file.
But how can I find out exactly what is trying to use sendmail (which
fails and complaints)?

My configuration (8.0-RELEASE-p3):
/etc/rc.conf
    hostname="prime"
    sendmail_enable="NONE"
/etc/hosts
    ::1                     localhost prime
    127.0.0.1               localhost prime
/etc/nsswitch.conf
    hosts: files dns
/etc/periodic.conf
    daily_output="/var/log/dper.log"
    daily_clean_hoststat_enable="NO"
    daily_backup_aliases_enable="NO"
    daily_status_mailq_enable="NO"
    daily_status_include_submit_mailq="NO"
    daily_status_mail_rejects_enable="NO"
    daily_queuerun_enable="NO"
    daily_submit_queuerun="NO"
    daily_status_security_output="/var/log/dsec.log"
    weekly_output="/var/log/wper.log"
    monthly_output="/var/log/mper.log"

It was all fine and quiet for months and started just recently. The only
change in the system I can think of is that I replaced pf with ipfw.
Still don't understand what is so urgent that sendmail keeps trying
every minute.

M.