Running an Old Kernel

b. f. bf1783 at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 25 22:16:58 UTC 2010

On 6/25/10, b. f. <bf1783 at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Martin McCormick wrote:
>> I have been attempting to shut off that "last login" message
>> that occurs on some FreeBSD systems every time one runs a sudo
>> command. I decided to bring back the last kernel which was the
> Why on earth are you tinkering with your kernels in order to change
> sudo output?  You should instead be editing configuration files
> associated with sudo and related base system utilities, or patching
> sudo.

I should be more specific: I think you should be able to disable the
message by commenting out the lines that refer to pam_lastlog.so in
/etc/pam.d/system, /etc/pam.d/xdm, and /etc/pam.d/telnetd.  But in
doing so, you will lose some of the security and accounting benefits
of last(1) and friends.  Is it really worth it, just to silence some
console messages? In any event, don't tinker with your kernel because
of this.  It won't help, and it may break your system.

b.