before i even =touch= my server again....

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Thu Jun 24 04:22:47 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 08:10:13PM +0200, Polytropon wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 13:03:03 -0500, Kirk Strauser <kirk at strauser.com> wrote:
> > On 06/23/10 11:35, Polytropon wrote:
> > > Of course, all write attempts to /var will then fail.
> >
> > Or even worse: they'll succeeded. And then when you re-mount /var,
> > you'll lose access to all the files you've written in the mean time.
>
> True, an important advice. In case /var is not mounted, the
> /var directory on / will be just a "plain directory". Depending
> on program behaviour, it is possible that logging programs
> create a new file when missing a file to append. In this case,
> / will fill with such files in /var. It's important to remove
> them prior to re-mounting /var. It is possible to move them,
> e. g. to /tmp, and immediately append them to the correct files
> after re-mounting /var. But if (small) data loss is acceptable
> for the time needed to fix /var, it is an option.
>
> Another possibility is - but I never tried it - to force fsck
> to check a mounted partition that is in use.
>
> 	# fsck -yf /var
>
> This may (!) cause other forms of damage, allthough fsck should
> be able to correct most usual problems.
>
> It's a good approach to stop as many services as possible that
> could want to write to /var, and restart them after /var is clean
> and mounted again.

yeah, ive had it; some 40 minutes ago i rebooted into [3][safe] and i
think fsck resolved the inode troubles and since my email work, i'll
wait until my pal gets back.  i can't see under there so the KVM
config will have to wait.

    The 7.83a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php
           http://journey.thought.org  99 44/100% Guaranteed Novel