FreeBSD router - large scale

Kevin Wilcox kevin.wilcox at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 14:54:49 UTC 2010

On 28 May 2010 07:38, Bruce Cran <bruce at cran.org.uk> wrote:

> This is possibly the wrong place to be saying this, but isn't OpenBSD
> usually recommended for
> routers? I believe the version of pf, for example, is normally kept more
> up-to-date than than
> in FreeBSD.  The major downside I know of is that it's not nearly as
> user-friendly; for example
> my recollection of its installer is that you have to input sector offsets
> manually in the partition editor!

Bruce - sorry for taking so long to reply, this project has been slow-moving.

Yes, you are correct, OpenBSD is typically used in this situation and,
if the project were strictly for a routing component, it may indeed be
a better choice. My concern was that if we decided to add any proxy
capability then we would need much more RAM than OpenBSD could address
(this will front at least 8k users).

I have found the OpenBSD installer to be quite friendly but that's
probably because it is pretty minimal and just sort of "clicks" with
me. As long as you're dedicating the system to *BSD, I generally
prefer the OpenBSD installer for its flow but have found no particular
allegiance with either their installer or sysinstall. As long as I can
have a running system within four or five minutes of powering on with
the install CD, I don't really care.

kmw