X not responding

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Tue Jun 22 19:46:39 UTC 2010

On Tue, 22 Jun 2010, Andy Balholm wrote:

> I am having a problem with Xorg under FreeBSD 8.0 RELEASE and 8.1 RC1:
>
> When I type startx, the X server starts, and some xterm windows open,
> but it will not respond to keyboard or mouse input. The mouse pointer
> won't move, and the only keyboard input that does anything is
> CTRL-ALT-F1 etc. to switch virtual terminals.

Enable dbus and hal in rc.conf as shown here:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-config.html

If you want to use X without hal for input device detection, add
Option "AutoAddDevices" "Off" to the ServerLayout section.  Do not set the
AllowEmptyInput option, it is unnecessary and problematic.  Or you can
configure the xorg-server port without hal.