system is under attack (what can I do more?)

Kaya Saman SamanKaya at netscape.net
Fri Jun 18 15:32:48 UTC 2010

[...]
> Look at ports/security/sshguard and ports/security/bruteblock.
>
> I use sshguard with ipfilter, but it works with pf and ipfw as well.
> It is very simple to set up and gets the job done.
>
> Jerry

Hi just wanted to say thanks for stating this as I'm also looking for a
BSD version of fail2ban which I couldn't find in the FreeBSD ports
collection......

A real problem with this kind of attack is that even though brute force
in nature it can also work like a DoS if the server is having to handle
X amount of break-ins per second and also if multiple people are trying
to hack the system at the same time, it can steal bandwidth too as let's
face it not everyone has high powered enterprise grade MetroEthernet or
OC12+ Trunks WAN connectivity. A lot of people are still on ADSL or even
Dial-Up.

Regards,

Kaya