PDF storage software recommendations?

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Thu Jun 17 19:31:14 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 01:12:13PM -0400, Greg Larkin wrote:

> Michael W. Lucas wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have to store a bunch of PDFs of orders.  I'd like to be able to
> > "tag" these by customer, date, and a couple of other characteristics,
> > and then search and/or sort by these tags.
> >
> > I'm certain that we have something in ports that will do this, but
> > danged if I can find a good candidate.  While I'm sure I could build a
> > database/PHP app that would work, surely someone's already done this?
> > Any recommendations?

Keep it simple. Rename the pdf files so that their names encode the data you
want. Then find(1) will do most of what you want.

If the pdf files contain text instead of scanned images, you could probably do
the renaming automatically with the help of pdftotext(1) from the
'poppler-utils' port and your favorite scripting language.

Put them in sub-directories e.g. by year or even year/month if you've got lots.

Roland