Perl Dumping Core

Tim Daneliuk tundra at tundraware.com
Wed Jun 16 14:32:16 UTC 2010

On 6/16/2010 9:18 AM, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On 16/06/2010 15:11:15, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
>> I am running 8.1-PRERELEASE and seeing a half dozen of these a day:
>

>>    (perl5.10.1), uid 0: exited on signal 11
>

>> Anyone have theories on this?
>
> You have a perl process or processes owned by root that are dying due to
> segmentation violations.
>
> Unfortunately, we don't do omniscience[*] or clairvoyance or anything
> like that, so unless you give us some useful information to work with,
> that's literally all we can tell you.

'Sorry, I wasn't more specific :)  And I DO expect you do be omniscient
BTW, after all, my users/clients expect ME to be ...

> Start by inspecting the output of ps(1) to find likely looking perl
> processes.  If you've actually got perl.core files you may be able to
> investigate with a debugger and work out what is producing them, but I
> wouldn't hold out too much hope of that.
>
> 	Cheers,
>
> 	Matthew
>
> [*] well, only occasionally.

It seems that the long running perl processes are there in support of
Mailman.  I know it periodically restarts itself but I don't know how
gracefully it shuts down the perl processess ...