closing X

Glen Barber glen.j.barber at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 01:23:58 UTC 2010

On 6/14/10 6:21 PM, Derek Funk wrote:
> On 6/13/2010 7:12 PM, Glen Barber wrote:
>> Hi Derek,
>>
>> On 6/13/10 10:51 AM, Derek Funk wrote:
>>> I have setup PCBSD and a Standard Freebsd with gui. and kbunto. They do
>>> not close X completely. I get a flashing screen.
>>> I can still type commands while the screen flashes. I have done a google
>>> search but nothing seems to match my problem.
>>>
>>> I installed opensolaris and it doesn't do this but I want bsd.
>>>
>>> I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop that has intel mobile graphics. Is
>>> this something with the intel graphics driver or an installed software
>>> conflict.
>>>

>> Does it sound similar to this issue?
>>
>> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2009-August/046958.html
>>
>> Regards,
>>
> Yea, that is mostly what I am experiencing. I followed the thread and
> didn't see a resolution.

Last I used that laptop, there still was no resolution.  The only thing
I could find to prevent it from happening in the first place is to not
use xscreensaver, xrander, etc.  Once I disabled those apps, the
flashing console went away.

I did find that 'startx' from the flashing console, and immediately
closing X would drop me back to a normal, visible console.

Regards,

--
Glen Barber