Directory Passwords

Bob Hall rjhjr0 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 13 04:15:04 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 02:52:59PM -0400, Mike Robins wrote:
> Hi there, I currently am running a FreeBSD/Samba server for my company
> with public shares for all of the employees to keep their work related
> documents in.  I'm wondering if it is possible for me to keep these shares
> public and add a password to each sub directory in the public share?  This
> would mean I could give each department a sub directory that only they
> would know the password to and keep the sensitive documents away from
> public view.

Any password known to a group of people quickly becomes public
knowledge. If you really need to restrict access to a share, this won't
do it securely.

In jobs I've had where it was necessary to restrict access to network
shares, there was a central security server that was aware of me after I
successfully logged on to my computer, and automatically gave me access
to any share that a project manager had given me rights to, while
blocking me from any share to which no project manager had given me
rights. I'm pretty sure you can integrate Samba into such a system, but
how to do it is a Samba related question, not a FreeBSD question.

Best of luck.