resize freebsd slice

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Jun 11 23:49:28 UTC 2010

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 02:30:13 +0300, Giorgos Tsiapaliokas <terietor at gmail.com> wrote:
> i used the "restart" option but still i had the same error.

Have you previously deleted the created file from the external hard
disk? Can you provide "mount -v /dev/da0s1"?

> if i make my hard disk a UFS file system then the error it may be fixed.
>
> how can i do it?

Can you use the WHOLE disk for your backup files? In case you've
got nothing to lose on that disk, it's quite easy, but pay
attention: The disk will be EMPTY then.

Make sure it's unmonted before creating a FreeBSD file system
on it.

	# newfs -U /dev/da0
	# mount /dev/da0 /mnt

This does omit the slice part, it's often called "dedicated".
Sometimes it's called "dangerously dedicated" because "Windows"
can't read it anymore (as if it could by default...).

Oh, and did I already mention "sade"? It's a nice tool for
dealing with disks, slices, partitions and filesystems, it
works like sysinstall's corresponding subfunctions. You can
use it to

	1. delete the da0s1 slice
	2. create a FreeBSD slice, spanning the whole disk
	3. create an UFS partition, covering the whole slice
	4. format the UFS partition, maybe using soft updates.

This will give you /dev/da0s1c, which you can mount to /mnt.

To keep in mind: The "c" partition always means "the whole disk"
or "the whole slice", root partitions usually are "a", swap
spaces "b", and other partitions start at "e" (they can also
start at "d", but I think that "d" was reserved for something
in the past, not sure if it's still the case).

> P.S.:i have 138 gb free space on my hard disk.:)

In case you have data on that disk that you NEED - get them off
the disk first. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany