Midphase Hosting

Svein Skogen (Listmail Account) svein-listmail at stillbilde.net
Thu Jun 10 16:36:30 UTC 2010

On 10.06.2010 18:12, Jerry wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 15:12:48 +0200
> Jonathan McKeown <j.mckeown at ru.ac.za> articulated:
>
>> On Thursday 10 June 2010 15:04:53 Matthew Seaman wrote:
>>>
>>> The only other mechanism might be to tag each list e-mail with a
>>> unique value for each recipient in such a way that it is preserved
>>> in the message that mpcustomer.com's help system sends out.  That
>>> has severe problems of scale and load on the FreeBSD mail servers,
>>> but it might be possible.  There is a similar technique (whose name
>>> I have temporarily forgotten) that some mailing lists use where
>>> they tag the envelope sender address with the recipient name in
>>> order to identify addresses that are bouncing back the list e-mail.
>>
>> Isn't that called VERP (variable envelope return path)? I agree - the
>> load it would impose isn't worth it. I'm just shocked that midphase
>> care so little about their reputation or the impression this is
>> giving, on one of the more widely-archived mailing lists, of their
>> competence and diligence.
>
> I have employed VERP with mailing lists that I controlled. I never
> noticed any adverse effects. I know of several technical lists
> like Dovecot that employ it. Obviously, they find it useful.

Wouldn't adding an explicit route (to null) for the ip range employed by
mpcustomer.com for the poor FreeBSD server do the trick? It would build
up queue for a while, then the probe message wouldn't get there, then
the problem would simply vanish. ;)

//Svein

--
--------+-------------------+-------------------------------
  /"\   |Svein Skogen       | svein at d80.iso100.no
  \ /   |Solberg Østli 9    | PGP Key:  0xE5E76831
   X    |2020 Skedsmokorset | svein at jernhuset.no
  / \   |Norway             | PGP Key:  0xCE96CE13
        |                   | svein at stillbilde.net
 ascii  |                   | PGP Key:  0x58CD33B6
 ribbon |System Admin       | svein-listmail at stillbilde.net
Campaign|stillbilde.net     | PGP Key:  0x22D494A4
        |msn messenger:     | Mobile Phone: +47 907 03 575
        |svein at jernhuset.no | RIPE handle:    SS16503-RIPE
         If you really are in a hurry, mail me at
               svein-mobile at stillbilde.net
 This mailbox goes directly to my cellphone and is checked
        even when I'm not in front of my computer.
                     Picture Gallery:
          https://gallery.stillbilde.net/v/svein/