adding output lines to my .cshrc breaks sftp and scp ...

Goh Sanda x4500fbsd at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 9 00:08:35 UTC 2010

I added a few lines to the bottom of my standard FreeBSD .cshrc file:

echo ""
echo ""

Just to show me what is going on each time I log in.

The problem is, when I try to scp a file to the system, I get 'w' output echo'd to me, and no actual scp.

sftp fails as well - I can no longer log in via sftp, and instead get this error:

Received message too long 169882682

I don't understand why .cshrc output is breaking non-interactive SSH file transfer.

Is there a way to customize my .cshrc output while still retaining scp/sftp functionality ?

Thank you.