how do i use a memory stick on freebsd?

Gautham Ganapathy gautham at lisphacker.org
Mon Jun 7 19:12:16 UTC 2010

On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 12:33 AM, Gary Kline <kline at thought.org> wrote:

> guys,
>
> my wife emptied a bunch of files onto her memory stick;  the pc
> is not here.  i have never used one of these devices before and
> want to know how, if it is possible, to read her dos/lose
> material from my bsd system.  7.3, dell, plenty of disk, and yes,
> i know where the usb slot it!
>
> do i need to put something in /usr/rc.conf? build a driver or
> utility?  or what?
>
> tia, Y'all!
>
> clueless in king county.

In case you use GNOME, see
http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/halfaq.html#q3. If this was a fresh
install of 7.3 (GNOME 2.28), just do steps 1 and 2, ignore the
instructions before and after, restart GNOME and then plug the drive
in. It should get mounted and appear on our desktop (well, it worked
for me !)
--
Gautham Ganapathy
http://lisphacker.org