office apps

Chip Camden sterling at camdensoftware.com
Mon Jun 7 16:40:41 UTC 2010

On Jun 07 2010 11:21, Anh Ky Huynh wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Jun 2010 13:34:16 -0700
> Chip Camden <sterling at camdensoftware.com> wrote:
>
> > This might not be the right list for this question -- if so, please
> > slap me over to the right one.
> >
> > Does anyone have a recommendation for a lighter-weight office suite?
> > OOo is such a pig.  It takes a good minute to start it up and open a
> > spreadsheet.
>
> There are some tips to speed up your Ooo. But if your Ooo took minute to start, I guess that your system has a low hardware?

I wouldn't have thought that an Intel Core i3 M350 (2.27Ghz) with 4GB would be
considered "lo (sic) hardware".  Everything else runs very quickly, even
Windows 7 in VirtualBox.  OOo is the only time I find myself waiting
impatiently.

> For short/unstructure documents, I suggest you to use Ooo (it slows but you can type the document quickly:D) For long/structure documents, LaTeX is a good choice. It is said that ConTeXt is good replacement of LaTeX but I have never tried it.
>
> > Short of the full suite, how about just a spreadsheet program that
> > supports complex formulas and charting?  If it could also be used
> > without X11 when charting isn't needed, that would make my day.
>
> Have you ever tried Google Spreadsheet or something like that?

I'm not quite ready to hand all my confidential documents over to
Google's servers.

--
Sterling (Chip) Camden | camdensoftware.com | chipstips.com | chipsquips.com