which is the basic differences between the shells?

parv at pair.com parv at pair.com
Sun Jun 6 20:03:38 UTC 2010

in message <20100606182148.GB28095 at guilt.hydra>,
wrote Chad Perrin thusly...

> I'm curious about why you prefer zsh for an interactive shell.
> What zsh features would you miss if you used tcsh instead (what
> I've been using)?
>
> I'm always willing to be convinced to try something better.

I cannot say about the tcsh features.

I switched from bash to zsh mainly for excellent vi-mode editing
support, more so over multiple lines.  ksh & bash were horrible in
that respect.

Recently I have found that regular expression like [a-d] (instead of
{a,b,c,d}) in file name generation work as expected.  zsh has more
ways to help file name generation which I have not looked into yet.

And of course, as stated earlier, compatibility between a bourne
shell script & an interactive shell helps immensely while
developing|debugging a script.

  - parv