why so many errors with ports??

Manolis Kiagias sonicy at otenet.gr
Sun Jun 6 10:04:53 UTC 2010

On 06/06/2010 1:39 π.μ., Giorgos Tsiapaliokas wrote:
> hello,
>
> i am coming from the linux world i was a gentoo user and i have install on
> my second machine FBSD,i have made many formats but every time i try to
> install a graphical enviroment (such as xfce,kde) many many errors come up.
> i have heard that the ports are more stable than portage but with portage i
> didn't have so many errors (actually i can't recall a time when portage
> "died")
>
> am i doing sth wrong or ports comes up with many errors??
>

> P.S.: 1 week not i haven't manage to install a graphical enviroment
>

> thanks in advance

I suggest you perform just the base system install from CD, and compile
everything else from an updated ports tree. If you happen to install any
packages from the DVD (and esp. since i.e. FreeBSD 8.0 has been out for
some time now) you will experience problems - unless you run a
portupgrade first (so that all shared libraries etc. get updated to the
latest versions). This is not worthy it for a new install - just proceed
with the base system install, do not install any packages (doc packages
are ok though) and do not even install the ports collection.

After the base system is installed, run

portsnap fetch extract

to get an up-to date ports tree (from then on, you can update this tree
with portsnap fetch update)

And then go on with installing everything you wish. I usually start with
the smallest console based stuff (bash, zip, unzip, rar, unrar, sudo,
screen, etc) and continue with x11/xorg and WM or DE of choice. I never
had this fail. Have a look at the FreeBSD Handbook's chapter 4,5,6 as well.