which is the basic differences between the shells?

Alejandro Imass ait at p2ee.org
Sat Jun 5 23:24:38 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 6:35 PM, Giorgos Tsiapaliokas <terietor at gmail.com> wrote:
> hello,
> i am coming from the linux world where i was using the bash shell but i
> found out that there are also much more.
> can u tell me the basic differences between them?(pros and cons)

Too broad a topic I suspect fo u to get an answer here. In FBSD the
base system is completely separate from the applications, that is
really great because for example your system upgrades are
independendent of applications / ports. The base shell is in the base
system so don't replace the shell for the root user but rather start
bash from your root account if you wish. This will make sense when
your system breaks in an upgrade for example.

For everything else you can safely use bash and choose bash for your
normal users. I use bash all the time even for root, but in the latter
case I start it manually.

Best,
Alejandro Imass