why so many errors with ports??

Alejandro Imass ait at p2ee.org
Sat Jun 5 23:19:28 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 6:39 PM, Giorgos Tsiapaliokas <terietor at gmail.com> wrote:
> hello,
>
> i am coming from the linux world i was a gentoo user and i have install on
> my second machine FBSD,i have made many formats but every time i try to
> install a graphical enviroment (such as xfce,kde) many many errors come up.
> i have heard that the ports are more stable than portage but with portage i
> didn't have so many errors (actually i can't recall a time when portage
> "died")
>
> am i doing sth wrong or ports comes up with many errors??

Need to specify FBSD version. I had many problems with the graphical
stuff as well and decided to install all the heavy weight stuff with
binary packages, besides it made no sense for me to wait I don't know
how many hours to compile things like OpenOffice and Gnome. For other
things I compile everything and hardly have any problems at all. Make
sure your ports are up to date and that you have chosen a correct
release for your needs. Tip: in FBSD the word stable has a completely
different meaning than in the LInux world ;-)