sysbench / fileio - Linux vs. FreeBSD

Adam PAPAI wooh at wooh.hu
Fri Jun 4 23:58:39 UTC 2010

Hi List,

A week ago I started to benchmark Linux vs. FreeBSD on a Dell Poweredge
1850.

CPU: 2 x 3.4Ghz Xeon (Dual Core)
Memory: 8GB (4x2)
Disk: 1 x SEAGATE ST373454LC D404 (SCSI)

FreeBSD kazoku 8.0-RELEASE-p3 FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE-p3 #0: Tue May 25
20:54:11 UTC 2010
root at amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

The tests with seqrewr, seqrd, rndrd, and so on is still going on, so I
can only publish the seqwr result. (The PostgreSQL will be tested as well)

(soft-updates are on)
/dev/da0s1d on /usr (ufs, local, soft-updates)

Tested with:
sysbench --num-threads=$a --file-block-size=$bs --test=fileio
- --file-total-size=2G --file-fsync-all=no --file-test-mode=seqwr run

My first results (seqwr with 1,2,4,8,6,32 threads) can be found here.

http://tech-blog.wooh.hu/~wooh/fbsd_vs_debian_seqwr.html

Why FreeBSD is supreme with 1 and 2 thread. And why is it 2 and 3 times
slower with 4-8-16-32 threads compared to Debian? The first two tests (1
thread and 2 thread) showed me that FreeBSD is supreme in I/O, but later
tests showed me, that it can produce horrible I/O.

How can I tune my disk to make it faster? Is it possible? What is the
reason of the really slow I/O with more than 4 threads? What do you
recommend me to do? Why is it damn slow with 8K blocksize?

I have more than 15 FreeBSD servers in production environment and I
don't want to change operating system due to I/O issues. I changed my
OpenBSD servers to FreeBSD 3 years ago... :)

When all tests are ready I'll publish all the results, including the
postgresql benchmarks as well.

Best Regards,

- --
Adam PAPAI