bash instead of csh (completely)

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Jun 4 19:56:39 UTC 2010

On Fri, 4 Jun 2010 20:56:02 +0200, Stefan Miklosovic <miklosovic.freebsd at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> title says it, i would like completely remove csh and install bash
> instead. As far I know, csh is build in system, could I remove it
> manually and install bash (of course, in reverse order :D)
>
> Are there such dependencies on csh? I know that real system scripting
> is done via /bin/sh
> co absence of csh shell should not break system.
>
> Am I wrong ?

Hmmm... first of all, you know that there are some things you have
to take into mind when installing bash into the OS (e. g. attention
to use statical linking, and placing it into /bin). Keep in mind
that FreeBSD defaults to csh as the default dialog shell in many
places (e. g. /usr/share/skel), but you can also modify those
references to point to bash instead.

I don't know why you want to remove csh from the system (instead
of just not using it), but in my opinion - without any experience
or testing - it sounds possible.

You can easily build a minimal system, install bash as mentioned
before, and then remove the csh binary.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany