portsnap refuse

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Fri Jun 4 18:18:07 UTC 2010

Fbsd1 <fbsd1 at a1poweruser.com> writes:

> The postsnap says adding refuse statements to select the parts of the
> port tree you have use for will shorten the download process and
> conserve disk space on your host. That only the port categories not
> REFUSED will be selected and compressed for download.

You are paraphrasing here.
I'm not clear whether your paraphrase is accurate.
It's certainly making some assumptions that are
not explicitly laid out in the manual page.

> Well for a test I ran portsnap with out any portsnap.conf file. The
> download process took 16 minuets. The I mv portsnap.conf.sample to
> portsnap.conf  and added REFUSE for all the categories except
> sysutils.
>
> Reran the portsnap and still it took 16 minuets.
>
> What gives here??

You could check whether the REFUSEd parts are getting updated after all,
then you could check whether they're in the downloaded snapshot.

My tech support crystal ball predicts that you will find your REFUSE
entries aren't really matching.  Could be wrong, but at least the tests
I suggested would point you in the right direction if it's right.