UPGRADE TO RELEASE 8.0-P3/SAMBA HELP REQUIRED

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu Jun 3 23:03:41 UTC 2010

On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 22:47:57 +0000 (GMT), Andy Hiscock <andyjhiscock at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I stopped reading after the line "freebsd-update is not one of them".

You're missing the best parts. :-)

> I know its not your fault.   But before progressing with technology
> perhaps support and support while upgrading is more important  -
> especially when receiving alerts suggesting your version is no
> longer supported rather than failed installs being solved by people
> like yourself.

FreeBSD has excellent support, in my opinion. The documentation
is far better than most things I've seen in other open source
projects. The mailing list is friendly and very helpful.

Where did you get alerts from that FreeBSD 7 isn't supported
anymore? Did you take the time to verify this? Allthough 7 is
a legacy release, it's still FULLY supported, and many users
are still using it.

You've received many suggestions from this mailing list, but I
fail to see that you're "working with it". Without YOU, your
actions, your activity, the problem won't go away.

Of course, you can just copy your important data, then get
the install CD for FreeBSD 8 (or maybe install it via net,
which is very common), then install samba, and finally get
your data back onto the system. But from my "diagnostics"
(which are, in fact, mostly guessings, due to the lack of
information from you, your performed commands and the
respnses), I would not reach for such a "big weapon" at
this moment. It's far easier to upgrade your applications
(as your OS is already updated, just install the ports
subtree as suggested by Giorgos Keramidas - "portsnap fetch
extract", then "pkg_add -r portupgrade", and "portupgrade
-af -PP"). This should give you a working Samba (as well
as all other applications upgraded).

Always keep in mind: Upgrading a system is something that
you should do CAREFULLY. You can run into big trouble if
you do it wrong (as I know from my own experience). FreeBSD
is a system that does not tell you what you do and holds your
hand while it does what it thinks is the best for you; instead,
it does EXACTLY what you tell it to do. You can even take
that literally. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany