UPGRADE TO RELEASE 8.0-P3/SAMBA HELP REQUIRED

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu Jun 3 22:38:54 UTC 2010

On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 22:29:28 +0000 (GMT), Andy Hiscock <andyjhiscock at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have sort of giving up and the "cant be arsed Ill put windows on"
> factor has stepped in.

Have you considered entering single user mode and trying to get back
to 7.2 ("freebsd-update rollback")? In this case, you will need to
re-install samba (you've removed it); but as you are already in 8,
have you tried "pkg_add -r samba43"?

> I understand config files and DOS scripting but BSD is unsupported?

Well, FreeBSD isn't DOS, nor is it "Windows". It's a complex operating
system (as all operating systems are a complex thing), and it needs
more than knowledge about config files and scripts to maintain it
properly and provide good administration. But finally, that's what
you learn by using it.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany