UPGRADE TO RELEASE 8.0-P3/SAMBA HELP REQUIRED

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu Jun 3 21:39:24 UTC 2010

On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 20:21:29 +0000 (GMT), Andy Hiscock <andyjhiscock at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Again Ports?   What is that about...  I've run the server and
> upgraded from 7.0-7,2 with no problem or need to change any
> config files before.  Its upgraded with no problem before.

That's correct. Upgrading the base system usually doesn't require
you to upgrade your applications as well. The freebsd-update
binary updating program takes care of everything.

> How do I install "Ports"?

The ports collection can be installed via sysinstall. Choose
configure - distributions - ports. The /usr/ports subtree will then
be installed.

> How do I reinstall Samba without getting a error -1 in sysinstall?

You can first use pkg_delete to delete it, e. g.

	# pkg_delete -x samba

and then re-install it from packages, e. g.

	# pkg_add -r samba

See "man pkg_add" and "man pkg_delete" to make sure you're understanding
that you're doing the right thing.

I'm not sure if you need to explicitely add a version number for
samba as I am not using it.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany