.sh & tar

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu Jun 3 11:42:16 UTC 2010

On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 09:32:17 +0800, Aiza <aiza21 at comclark.com> wrote:
> When I exec tar from within a .sh shell script I get this message
> tar: Removing leading '/' from member names
> I have tar outputting to > /dev/null and still get this message.
> With -v or without makes no difference.
>
> How can I stop this

Depends on WHAT you want to stop - the illness or just its symptoms. :-)

If it's just about symptoms, redirect the error messages into
nirvana.

	tar [opts] [file] 1>/dev/null 2>&1

If you want to remove the REASON for "tar: Removing leading '/'
from member names", you need to re-create the archives and
start archiving from a relative point (instead of from an
absolute one), e. g.

	# cd /
 	# tar cvf etc.tar etc/

(lazy man's method) instead of

	# tar cvf etc.tar /etc/

The extraction of the archive will usually start in the
current directory, so

	# cd /usr/local/bin
	# tar xvf etc.tar

won't give you an etc/ subtree in /usr/local/bin directory.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany