Network sort of stops working with the em (intel) driver under load.

Carl Chave carl at chave.us
Wed Jun 2 01:23:12 UTC 2010

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 3:30 PM, mark rowlands <rowlands.mark at gmail.com> wrote:
> Newly built and cvsupped system,with GENERIC kernel,  when copying
> large amounts of data over a gigabit link via scp  the network  will
> hang after a couple of gig.  I can then no longer login via ssh. If I
> leave it be, after about 12-24 hours I can then login again. (A reboot
> of course fixes the issue immediately...) .

I've had this behavior also with Intel Pro 1000 cards using the em
driver.  I picked up a lot of 4 of them off ebay and never figured out
if it was a driver problem or faulty hardware.  I went back to FreeNAS
on that same box (7.2-RELEASE-p4) and it seems ok except my Netgear
gigabit switch also died so I'm currently plugged into a 100Mbps
switch.