cron not sending emails

APseudoUtopia apseudoutopia at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 13:41:24 UTC 2010

2010/5/28 Laszlo Nagy <gandalf at shopzeus.com>:
> Hi All!
>
> After upgrading to 8.0 RELEASE, I'm not getting any emails from cron.
>
> If I put this into root's crontab
>
> * * * * * echo "TEST"
>
> then I see this in the maillog:
>
> May 14 10:53:00 server postfix/sendmail[2958]: fatal: user(1001): No
> recipient addresses found in message header

Just as a side note, I started having this problem a while ago with
7.2-RELEASE, I believe. I was using the base-system sendmail and no
special configuration with cron or anything.

I never found a solution. I posted on this mailing list and nothing
anyone suggested solved it. I ended up just piping every single cron
command into /usr/bin/mail:

0  */4  *  *  *  root  /usr/local/backups/daily_backup.sh |
/usr/bin/mail -E -s "Daily Backup" email at address.tld

That works fine.