ok, i give up...

Frank Shute frank at shute.org.uk
Sat Jul 31 14:40:04 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 07:08:20PM -0700, perryh at pluto.rain.com wrote:

> Frank Shute <frank at shute.org.uk> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 07:04:51PM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
> > > guys, i've been searching for a calender/reminder prog
> > > than i had YEARS ago.  cannot find.
> > >
> > > it had a ~/.datafile that was ascii.  things like
> > >
> > > <QUOTE>
> > >
> > > # Bill's birthday:
> > > 08 08 echo "Send Bill a birthday card.
> > >
> > > # watch one-time broadcast!!
> > > 08 09 2010  echo: "Watch PBS show at 20:00 hours"
> > >
> > > </QUOTE>
> > deskutils/ical ?
>
> Good program, but probably not what the OP had in mind.
> ical's .calendar file, while ascii, is in a structured
> format which would be a bit of a pain to edit by hand;
> and I don't recall its being set up to send email.

No, it's not able to send email AFAIK.

If Gary just wants reminders of when to take pills, then I would
recommend him to use at(1) and get it to call a file which calls
xmessage at the correct times of day. E.g. that file contains:

export DISPLAY=":0.0"
xmessage -geom 100x100+100+100 "Take pills!"

or if you want to use email use mail(1) and at(1)

I don't think anybodys mentioned at(1). It's in base and not a port,
xmessage is a port.

Regards,

--

 Frank