Are there tools for binary update(security etc.) of applications?

Luca Renaud renaud.luca at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 08:16:57 UTC 2010

I updated my system from FreeBSD 8.0 to 8.1 using the tool freebsd-update.As
far as I know this tool
only updates the core system and user land utilities,thus,all other apps are
not updated.
I use the gnome desktop,and I regularly receive the warning from Software
Updater that I have
240,or so,applications not updated etc.,and if I want to update them.
My question is: update them through the ports system?(compiling them all?)
or binary update?
Are there tools capable of doing that using the command line?(binary update
of apps not in
the core system or userland utilities,but also important regarding security
questions,for example).