Booting from floppy to install 8.1

krad kraduk at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 29 22:53:53 UTC 2010

On 29 July 2010 10:17, Roland Smith <rsmith at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 12:50:12AM -0700, perryh at pluto.rain.com wrote:
> > I'm trying to solve a chicken-egg problem.
> <snip>
> > Is there a reasonable way to build the proper boot/loader file for
> > an 8.1 boot floppy using a 6.x or 7.x system?
>
> Install 8.1 in an emulator like qemu or virtualbox to create the floppy
> images?
>
> Roland
> --
> R.F.Smith                                   http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/<http://www.xs4all.nl/%7Ersmith/>
> [plain text _non-HTML_ PGP/GnuPG encrypted/signed email much appreciated]
> pgp: 1A2B 477F 9970 BA3C 2914  B7CE 1277 EFB0 C321 A725 (KeyID: C321A725)

as long as the version of the os supports the file system you want and the
disk layout eg gpt you in theory can install any version of bsd from any
other version of bsd. After all the main os install is just and extract of
some tar balls. The only issue I can see might be the boot loader. But then
you could chroot into the installed os and use the boot loader from there. I
have definately installed a higher version of bsd than berfore but the
versions numbers escape me