Upgrading to 8.1; Perl; and libgcrypt

J. Altman freebsd-announce at chthonic.com
Thu Jul 29 00:26:50 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 06:00:25PM +0200, Roland Smith wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 03:20:27PM +0000, J. Altman wrote:
> > Greetings...
> >
> > I am looking at upgrading to 8.1 from 8.0 on an AMD64.
>
> In case you're upgrading from source, do not forget to delete the
> archivers/xz port before doing a buildworld, else buildworld will
> fail.

Yikes; thanks for the heads up. I do upgrade from source.

> I would advise you to use portmaster;
>
>   1) portmaster -o lang/perl5.12 lang/perl5.10
>   2) portmaster p5-
>
> That worked for me.

Hmm...well, I've used portupgrade since 4.3, and have only wondered
if switching is a good thing. I've not made time to learn that
process.

> If you are running a GENERIC kernel, you could use
> freebsd-update. That is probably the fastest.

My kernel is not GENERIC; so I'll just do a bunch of updates.

Thanks for the help, and best regards,

Joe