[IDS-12680263] 28amen.org : trying to portinstall ffmpeg

John Francis Lee jfl at robinlea.com
Wed Jul 28 04:48:21 UTC 2010

I am posting this to both viaverio and the freeBSD lists because the one
suggests I get help from the other.

On 07/28/2010 09:45 AM, Mark S wrote:
> Hello John,
>

> Thank you for contacting Verio Technical Support.
>
> Unfortunately, we really have no expertise with ffmpeg as it's not
> software that Verio provides. The mailing lists are really the best
> place to get help. One thing you might try is to uninstall ffmpeg by
> running a "make deinstall" from the port's directory and then rebuild
> it now that you apparently have a good copy of xz.

I've done that,,, several times. I thought I had mentioned it... sorry.

> As a last resort you could simply download a binary copy of ffmpeg
> for FreeBSD 6.3 from ftp.freebsd.org. FreeBSD pkgs are installed with
> "pkg_add packagename.tgz". Since you've already built the bulk of
> dependencies from ports you might run into incompatibilities with
> this method.

What about

  sudo portupgrade -faP

?

Do you see a downside there? I'm thinking that since viaverio has
apparently not maintained the port systems on its FreeBSD v6.3 servers
that they may be in a state inconsistent with the port systems on which
other ports were created.

My first attempt to install ffmpog was

 sudo portinstall ffmpeg

which downloaded a lot of code and compiled it. Maybe some was
incompatible with code already on my server? Maybe running an upgrade of
the entire ports system on my server will fix my problem?

It'll take a while, I'm sure, but I'm wasting time right now trying to
get ffmpeg installed. Of course, I don't want to break any(every)thing
else on the system!

So my question is... what do you think of

 sudo portupgrade -faP

?

 Can it hurt?
 Do you think it might help?

If I cannot do that I guess I will go to the FreeBSD archives and try to
find a binary of the ffmpeg program...

Thanks for taking the time to help me.

--
"This message may have been intercepted and read by U.S. government
agencies including the FBI, CIA, and NSA and/or the present government

John Francis Lee
246/3 Thanon Kaew Wai
Mueang Chiangrai 57000
Thailand