autologin KDE, 8-1-RELEASE-amd64 not working

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 17:58:35 UTC 2010

Dear folks,

I am not sure why, but autologin is not working, I get authentication errors :(

I setup KDE as the desktop using

echo 'exec /usr/local/kde4/bin/startkde4' > ~/.xinitrc

echo 'local_startup="${local_startup} /usr/local/kde4/etc/rc.d"' >> /etc/rc.conf
echo 'kdm4_enable="YES"' >> /etc/rc.conf

and logging in as root and using the System Settings, I chose
autologin as myself(regular user, member of wheel/operator groups(if
it is important))     but I get authentication error :(

I try to login as root, but root is not allowed exept if I start in
console mode, i,e, comment out the lines in /etc/rc.conf and I make
changes, but cannot get autologin to work.

I know that autologin is discouraged, but this is a home computer and
no other person uses it execpt me, how should I fix it?

Thank you for advice/suggestions/comments.

Regards,

Antonio