BSD logo

Andy Balholm andy at balholm.com
Tue Jul 27 15:23:33 UTC 2010

Chad Perrin wrote:
> Andy Balholm wrote:
>> although the UNIX term "daemon" is not satanic in origin, some aspects
>> of Beastie's appearance are obviously derived from traditional
>> depictions of the Devil.
>
> Really?  Are you sure they weren't derived from something else -- perhaps
> a source in common for the "traditional" depictions of the devil?  There
> may be a common source for both, rather than one being the source of the
> other.  Correlation does not imply causation.  Did you ask the original
> Beastie artist for confirmation that he was consciously emulating images
> of the Christian devil, or did you just jump to a conclusion like the OP?

I jumped to a conclusion, but I'll stand by it until someone shows me the ancient common source. I don't recall anything that looks much like Beastie in Greek art.

When someone in the modern western culture decides to draw a daemon and it comes out looking like a "demon," the most plausible explanation is that he was influenced—consciously or unconsciously—by this culture's traditional way of depicting demons. In fact, not being influenced by that tradition would take a conscious effort. So I find that far more likely than an obscure common source.

Note that I am not attributing the resemblance to any "fiendish" motives. I expect the artist just found the pun too good to pass up. I'll CC him in case he wants to comment on his sources, since you think he should be asked.

Andy Balholm
(509) 276-2065
andy at balholm.com