popt-1.50 or better??

b. f. bf1783 at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 27 14:35:53 UTC 2010

>On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 10:53:03PM +0000, b. f. wrote:
>> >here are the last few lines of output from configure, ots-0.5.0:
>> >
>> >checking for pkg-config... /usr/X11R6/bin/pkg-config
>> >checking for glib-2.0 >= 2.0 libxml-2.0 >= 2.4.23... yes
>> >checking OTS_CFLAGS... -I/usr/local/include/glib-2.0
>> >-I/usr/local/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/local/include/libxml2
>> >-I/usr/local/include
>> >checking OTS_LIBS... -L/usr/local/lib -lglib-2.0 -lxml2
>> >checking for poptParseArgvString in -lpopt... no
>> >configure: error: popt 1.5 or newer is required to build ots.
>> >You can download the latest version from
>> >ftp://ftp.rpm.org/pub/rpm/dist/rpm-4.1.x/
>>

>> poptParseArgvString is in the $PREFIX/lib/libpopt.so.0 library from
>> our devel/popt port. The latest available version of this software is
>> 1.16, in the Red Hat repos.  Look at the configure script to determine
>> why it can't find the symbol. Maybe you need to reinstall devel/popt,
>> or patch the configure script.
>>

>        can anybody tell me how to upgrade just this one file:
>       devel/popt?  i tried various forms up portupgrade.  zip.

I'm at a loss here.  First of all, you mean "upgrade this port",
right?  Because devel/popt is a port, not a file.  If you have an old
version of devel/popt, it would seem that any of the standard updating
tools would work.  If you just want to reinstall it, you could simply:

cd /usr/ports/devel/popt && make deinstall clean install && make clean

Then you could check your libpopt.so.0:

ldconfig -vr | fgrep popt
objdump -T /usr/local/lib/libpopt.so.0 | fgrep poptParseArgvString

Of course, I've assumed that PREFIX=LOCALBASE=/usr/local and
PORTSDIR=/usr/ports.  Make the proper substitutions if they aren't.

I don't see any error logs or an IGNORE for textproc/ots, so I'm
assuming that it builds properly on the package-building cluster.  If
that's the case, then there is something wrong with _your_ build: a
corrupted file, polluted environment, error after autodetection, etc.
But we won't know what is wrong until you show the corresponding part
of the configure script and errors in the config.log.

b.