1 file system, 2 drives?

Rich rl001 at pacbell.net
Tue Jul 27 00:57:29 UTC 2010

________________________________
From: Gary Gatten <Ggatten at waddell.com>
Cc: "freebsd-questions at freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
Sent: Mon, July 26, 2010 1:41:19 PM
Subject: RE: 1 file system, 2 drives?

>From my experience (YMMV), most RAID controllers will NOT redistribute the
>existing data/files onto the newly added drives.  So, if you have a (3) drive
>RAID5 your file exists on all three drives, as does the parity data.  If you add
>(2) drives, your original files will not be on the new drives.  New files WILL
>use all (5) drives.  IMHO it's best to backup the data (twice), create a new
>volume on the new RAID, and restore the data.  That said, maybe better/newer
>RAID controllers will redistribute / balance existing data across all drives in
>the array - I don't know for sure.  Either way, backup your data - twice!  And
>make sure it can be restored!  Just because the backup app SAYS it's OK, it's
>NOT OK until it can be successfully restored!

Also, if you go from (7) drives to (3), your I/O may suffer.  Newer faster
drives MAY make up the difference, or make up enough of it that it won't impact
your client.  Just be aware this is a potential issue.  Generally speaking more
spindles = more I/O's / sec.

>>Generally speaking more spindles = more I/O's / sec.

and more chance for failure. After a certain point adding more drives to a RAID0
stripe doesn't buy you anything because the first one is ready for the next
command before you get very far down the line.