1 file system, 2 drives?

John Almberg jalmberg at identry.com
Mon Jul 26 20:30:34 UTC 2010

> If you have hardware controller with RAID capabilities, using native RAID is better, otherwise look towards gvinum or maybe ccd; see also:

I've just been reading up on RAID in my Absolute FreeBSD book, and it
occurs to me that my client has a SCSI RAID drive chassis that he is
using stupidly...

It's a 14 bay drive, and he's currently got seven 32G drives stuck in
it, configured with RAID-0. This is the original 200G drive I was
talking about. It's a few years old.

Over the next few years, this guy is going to need lots of storage for
his videos.

After a bit of reading, I'm wondering if the best idea might be to toss
out those 32G drives and replace them with 3 big (say, 300G) drives
configured with RAID-5. It sounds to me like a RAID-5 array can be
expanded by adding new drives.

QUESTION: is expansion normally a matter of just plugging in a new
drive? Is the new drive automatically grafted onto the old drives? Or do
you have to go through a process like, backing up the data, plugging in
the new drive, reformatting the expanded array of drives, and restoring
the data.

I don't know the brand/model of the RAID drive chassis, but the client
thinks it can be switched to use RAID 5. I'm waiting for the technical
details, but assuming it can handle RAID-5 for now.

Thanks: John