BSD logo

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Mon Jul 26 13:15:59 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 12:20:31AM -0500, Kevin Monceaux wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 11:29:37AM -0600, Chad Perrin wrote:
> >
> > Without downloading a PDF and reading it . . . do you know what Latin
> > variant is used in that document?
>
> No, without download and reading the PDF I wouldn't know what Latin
> variant is used in that document.  :-)  Since it was only a 39K file,
> there was no reason for me to worry about downloading it.

I meant "Can you tell me the answer to this question so I don't have to
download it then see if I can figure it out?"

> > Is it classical, church, or scientifically bastardized Latin (for
> > instance)?  I'm curious.
>
> Yes, to all of the above.  It has a chart showing a few pronunciations
> including classical which it describes as the reconstructed ancient
> pronunciation.  It even includes an "English method" which is
> basically pronouncing Latin words as if they were English words.

Okay, thanks.  That answers my question, and makes me want to actually
download the thing.

> > I know that in at least some contexts the Latin pronunciation is more
> > "dee" than "dai" for daemon, and that "dee" is the pronunciation
> > generally considered "correct" for server processes in Unix systems.
> > Beyond that, it's entirely possible there are other pronunciations of
> > which I am not aware -- though I'm pretty sure "day" is solely an
> > artifact of people trying to figure out how to pronounce terms that
> > contain the ae (or the æ ligature) without actually trying to look it up.
>
> The above document describes ae in classical pronunciation as like ai
> in aisle and in all other pronunciations like Latin ē.  It describes
> Latin ē in all pronunciations, except the English method, as like a in
> plate.  Going by the above the first syllable of daemon could be
> pronounced like day.

That's rather contrary to what I had learned (which is, admittedly, not a
whole lot).  I'll give the document a look.  Thanks.