cpu_reset: stopping other CPUs - machine stalls at halt or reboot

claudiu vasadi claudiu.vasadi at gmail.com
Sun Jul 25 20:24:12 UTC 2010

Hello fellas,

I have a vmware FreeBSD guest with 8 CPU's and 2GB RAM.

I am a bit puzzled of the behaviour the system has when I issue "reboot"
and/or "halt -p now". It shows "cpu_reset: stopping other CPUs" and stalls
for ~2 minutes.

I have a custom SMP kernel and at the moment I was unable to reveal any
problems with the guest or the host (win 7).

FreeBSD has all ports up to date and at the moment of reboot or shutdown, no
"heavy" is running.

Did any of you experience something similar ?