BSD logo

Chip Camden sterling at camdensoftware.com
Sun Jul 25 18:20:29 UTC 2010

Quoth Chad Perrin on Sunday, 25 July 2010:
> On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 11:54:37AM -0400, Alejandro Imass wrote:
<snip>

> I'd think a devout Christian would have much more reason to complain
> about a Flying Spaghetti Monster (whose only purpose is to mock mystical
> belief systems) than a Daemon, ...

</snip>

On the contrary, they fear competition much more than direct opposition.
That's why the bloodiest religious wars are usually between similar systems.
Thus, an opposing mythical symbol is more threatening, provided it's
taken seriously -- the attempt to cast it seriously is an attempt to
frame an enemy.

Actually, the deeper, unspoken threat is that it won't be taken seriously
-- providing a precedent for the demotion of all mythical symbols.

--
Sterling (Chip) Camden    | sterling at camdensoftware.com | 2048D/3A978E4F
http://camdensoftware.com | http://chipstips.com        | http://chipsquips.com