growisofs gives random errors but never writes a DVD successfully

Erich Dollansky erichfreebsdlist at ovitrap.com
Sun Jul 25 12:30:04 UTC 2010

 Hi,

I am trying to get the DVD burner running on 8.1

The machine:  8.1-STABLE FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE #3: Sat Jul 24 20:56:05 SGT 2010

I have atapicam enabled. I lock HAL. Still, it seems I am missing something or there is a problem with my hardware.

The command:

hal-lock --interface org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Storage --udi /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/storage_model_DVDRAM_GH22NS40 --run 'growisofs -dvd-compat -speed=4 -Z /dev/cd0=imagefile.iso'
Executing 'builtin_dd if=imagefile.iso of=/dev/pass0 obs=32k seek=0'

The output:

Executing 'builtin_dd if=imagefile.iso of=/dev/pass0 obs=32k seek=0'
/dev/pass0: "Current Write Speed" is 4.1x1352KBps.
          0/1604739072 ( 0.0%) @0x, remaining ??:?? RBU 100.0% UBU   0.0%
[...]
:-( unable to WRITE at LBA=0h: Input/output error
:-( write failed: Input/output error

The output is random. It even claimed once to have the DVD finished. But the DVD is not mountable.

As it was never used to burn, it also could be a hardware problem. Reading was not a problem on 8.0.

Does anybody have any idea what I am missing?

Erich

PS:

What I did:

I added from the handbook atapicam according to the handbook:

'18.6.9 Using the ATAPI/CAM Driver"

I followed this advice:

http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/halfaq.html#q6